On 4th March, 1955 the Cambridge School Certificate results were released and the 1st batch of School Certificate candidates (12 in number) from Paya Lebar MGS obtained a 100% Pass. Just 3 days later, on the memorable day 7th March 1955, this group of girls met along the corridor of the school, then at 15 Boundary Road, and the Paya Lebar MGS Alumni came into being. “This organization serves a dual purpose, namely,
- to forge a strong link with the Alma Mater, and
- to maintain intact the chain of fellowship among the girls” from 1st Alumni report.
It started with only 11 girls, all of whom were absorbed into the Board of Management -
|Board of Management
||Chia Jit Imm
||Gan Teck Choo
||Goh Keng Luan
||Seah Su Suan
||Sim Lee Kheng
||Chew Siew Lian
||Lean Poh Kee
Sim Pui Chuin
Foo Sock Ching
Tay Sock Hiang
The young alumni laid down a few basic rules –
- term of office - 2 years
- annual fee - $2.00
The committee also drafted application forms.
At the school bazaar the Alumni contributed a small sum to the Lucky Dip stall and helped to sell tickets. The Alumni also donated the 1st Dux Board which cost $40/-.
To quote the 1st President in her report - If the Alumni did not “strike a great impression it is because, as Shakespeare says, “We are yet but young in deed”. In her message for the school magazine the 1st President made an impassioned plea to the girls to join the Alumni upon leaving the school.